I'm taking a little time to think about these before I give feedback. I just wanted to let you know I am looking at it and will have feedback for you soon.
Ok, sorry I took so long to respond here. I've been thinking about it (and then I got really sunburned this weekend and laid around feeling sorry for myself).
The images of the walls and plasma wall don't really do much for me, but they're not necessarily bad. They provide scale, but don't really tell me much else; they just sort of look like walls. will they be clean or dirty? graffiti? marred somehow? if these sketches are just meant to display scale then cool, but they left me a little underwhelmed.
The overall layout is good. I like that you used your space well, and each area has a definite flow to it. Having a brief paragraph with each area describing overall feel and some distinctive items that would appear in each area would be good.
A-Block: Good starting area. lets the player explore a bit and get familiar with the area.
B-Block: This feels very Left 4 Dead to me; moving through a corridor having to weave back and forth to avoid debris. How high up are the side platforms, jump or ladder?
C-Block: I really like your use of space here, and you create pretty cool tension at the point you realize you'll have to go through D-Block to get out.
D-Block: This is the area that I think could use the most work. The way this reads, this should be the climax of the level. You've known that the maximum security wing exists, and now you've got to go through it, and that's a big deal. So when you get in, making it just a big circle you have to run through seems sort of... boring and linear. If this is the height of tension, you need to draw out that tension a bit, not just let them run through it. If there's another game-play element here I'm missing, let me know (I see there's power cells? maybe there's something there?)
End: After they leave D-Block, it looks like they run the rest of the way through C and then out the front gate. Are there any additional enemies / challenged between the end of D and the end of the level?
I'm taking a little time to think about these before I give feedback. I just wanted to let you know I am looking at it and will have feedback for you soon.
ReplyDeleteOk, sorry I took so long to respond here. I've been thinking about it (and then I got really sunburned this weekend and laid around feeling sorry for myself).
ReplyDeleteThe images of the walls and plasma wall don't really do much for me, but they're not necessarily bad. They provide scale, but don't really tell me much else; they just sort of look like walls. will they be clean or dirty? graffiti? marred somehow? if these sketches are just meant to display scale then cool, but they left me a little underwhelmed.
The overall layout is good. I like that you used your space well, and each area has a definite flow to it. Having a brief paragraph with each area describing overall feel and some distinctive items that would appear in each area would be good.
A-Block: Good starting area. lets the player explore a bit and get familiar with the area.
B-Block: This feels very Left 4 Dead to me; moving through a corridor having to weave back and forth to avoid debris. How high up are the side platforms, jump or ladder?
C-Block: I really like your use of space here, and you create pretty cool tension at the point you realize you'll have to go through D-Block to get out.
D-Block: This is the area that I think could use the most work. The way this reads, this should be the climax of the level. You've known that the maximum security wing exists, and now you've got to go through it, and that's a big deal. So when you get in, making it just a big circle you have to run through seems sort of... boring and linear. If this is the height of tension, you need to draw out that tension a bit, not just let them run through it. If there's another game-play element here I'm missing, let me know (I see there's power cells? maybe there's something there?)
End: After they leave D-Block, it looks like they run the rest of the way through C and then out the front gate. Are there any additional enemies / challenged between the end of D and the end of the level?
Looking forward to seeing what comes next,
max